Top tips to have a truly brilliant (and cheap) staycation.
Since Brexit and the drop in the pound, more and more of us are choosing to skip foreign holidays and take a break much closer to home.
UK holidays aren’t just more affordable, they can save you a lot of hassle (no passport panics or last-minute rush to get currency!) But on the flip side, isn’t a holiday on home soil bound to be… a bit less exciting?
Not if you do it right! It will be different (and yes, there might be rain). But don’t forget that our country is one of the world’s top tourist destinations, packed with places that are exciting to visit whatever the weather.
Follow our top tips to have a truly brilliant British holiday (and save some money too).
1. Pick an inspiring locationYou might not think it, but you don’t have to leave the UK to find paradise. Our country is full of stunning places (and some Cornish and Devon beaches even have palm trees!)
So do some research, and choose the destination that inspires you the most.
Why not collect all your favourite holiday inspiration images on Pinterest? That way you can get a great overall feel for each place.
Top tip: Ask friends and family for location recommendations - they might even know of some hidden gems.
2. Find your best accommodation optionCamping, glamping, Airbnb… Holidaymakers can now choose from a mind-boggling number of places to stay - so how do you work out which is best?
Our advice is to make a quick list of all the things you want from your accommodation.
For example, are you after somewhere sociable or chilled out? Do you need on-site entertainment? Attractions within walking distance? High-speed Wi-fi?
Think through all this beforehand, and then pick somewhere that ticks all the right boxes. Don’t forget to set an accommodation budget so you aren’t tempted to overspend.
Once you’ve got your list, it’s time to start searching! Here are some handy links:
Camping and glamping
On the Cool Camping website, you can browse a great selection of UK campsites that come highly recommended by the Cool Camping crew. For affordable glamping, try searching these options from the YHA too.
Travel Supermarket is a good place to find UK holiday park deals. And to discover which parks are ideal for families, try these recommendations from The Mirror and Netmums.
- Don’t forget hostels - they’re not just for students! Many offer private rooms at huge savings compared to hotels. The YHA has lots of options.
- If you’re after a bit more luxury, splitting the cost of a holiday rental (e.g. a cottage or Airbnb) with friends can make it much cheaper. (If you do use Airbnb, follow their safety tips.)
3. Plan adventures in advanceTo make every moment count on holiday, pre-plan your adventures! Hunting down fun things to do in advance will save you precious time while you’re away.
Tourist sites (see point 1) are always full of ideas, and it’s worth visiting TripAdvisor too to discover real holidaymakers’ top picks.
As a bonus, it’s often possible to get cheaper tickets if you book activities ahead. Money Saving Expert has a long list of deals, discounts and voucher codes for places like Alton Towers and Legoland. Of course, you don’t always have to spend money on day trips - why not try woodland walks or Geocaching, which can be done for free.
Last but not least, we’re talking UK holidays here, so having some wet weather options (e.g. free museums) up your sleeve is a must!
4. Be preparedDid we mention wet weather? Or even a heat wave? You never quite know what you’re going to get on a British holiday, so it’s important to be prepared.
To have fun in all weathers, packing wet-weather gear, sturdy shoes and a warm jumper alongside your sunscreen and flip-flops is a must.
If you’re camping, remember the temperature can drop a lot at night, even if it’s sunny during the day. So it’s worth investing in a good quality outdoor sleeping bag, and bringing blankets you can layer up if you get chilly.
For more essential packing ideas, check out Cool Camping’s checklist.
Need to spread the cost of your UK holiday? It’s much cheaper to borrow with us than with payday or doorstep lenders - visit our Personal Loan page for full details.