The Bristol Pound
The Bristol Pound is a local currency for Bristol designed to support the cityís independent businesses. It aims to bring businesses and citizens together into a mutually supportive trading network so that more spending is made in independent local businesses and more trade takes place between independent businesses.
It is a partnership between BCU and Bristol Pound Community Interest Company (CIC). For general information about the Bristol Pound please contact Bristol Pound CIC.
Bristol Pound accounts enable you to:
- Pay any other Bristol Pound Account holder from your online account or by using the TXT2PAY payment facility using a mobile phone.
- Traders can deposit paper Bristol Pounds into their Bristol Pound account with no charge
- Exchange Bristol Pounds out of your account into a sterling account if you need to
- Pay your business rates to Bristol City Council using your online Bristol Pound Account with no charge
Transaction fees are charged to the recipient of electronic Bristol Pound payments. The transactions fees paid by the recipient are:
- 2% of transaction amount for TXT2PAY payments (minimum fee 10p)
- 1 % of transaction amount for online payments (capped at maximum 95p)
Opening a Bristol Pound Account
Individuals can open a Bristol Pound Account online by indicating on the membership form that you want a Bristol Pound account.
If you are not already a member see Individuals Joining Bristol Credit Union on the Bristol Pound website. Alternatively you can join in branch or at any service point.
Businesses can also open a Bristol Pound account. If you are not already a member see Businesses Joining Bristol Credit Union on the Bristol Pound website. Alternatively you can join in branch or at any service point.
The Bristol Pound account is available to qualifying businesses, trade, organisations and individuals that agree to be members of the Bristol Pound Scheme, and to accept Bristol Pounds in exchange for goods and services.
Scheme membership is subject to the Scheme Rules, and to the Bristol Pound Account Terms & Conditions.